I’m not offended by people of other races dressing up as a black person for Halloween. I’m actually more offended by people saying they can’t.
Check it, even though you guys love to call it black face and associate it with a form of racism, I think it’s rarely done to be offensive. Nor do I…
Did you really just say that it’s not naively racist? Seriously? Do you even know the history of black face? It has never had a non racist positive connotation in the history of ever.
First lets talk about the reason why they used black face to begin with. During the time people refused to use black performers so instead they’d put paint on non black individuals. So right off the back we have discrimination based of color.
Next when people wear black face not only are they coloring their skin they are usually adding other stereotypical aesthetics to themselves to look more “black” big booty, big lips, grills, tats and shit and stuff like that perpetuates the stereotype that all of us are like that.
RACISM is not just an intentional act of inequality. It can and is subconscious. When you are born and raised in a white supremacist society which America is don’t even try to deny it.
The problem is that white people see racism as conscious hate, when racism is bigger than that. Racism is a complex system of social and political levers and pulleys set up generations ago to continue working on the behalf of whites at other people’s expense, whether whites know/like it or not. Racism is an insidious cultural disease. It is so insidious that it doesn’t care if you are a white person who likes black people; it’s still going to find a way to infect how you deal with people who don’t look like you. Yes, racism looks like hate, but hate is just one manifestation. Privilege is another. Access is another. Ignorance is another. Apathy is another. And so on. So while I agree with people who say no one is born racist, it remains a powerful system that we’re immediately born into. It’s like being born into air: you take it in as soon as you breathe. It’s not a cold that you can get over. There is no anti-racist certification class. It’s a set of socioeconomic traps and cultural values that are fired up every time we interact with the world. It is a thing you have to keep scooping out of the boat of your life to keep from drowning in it. I know it’s hard work, but it’s the price you pay for owning everything.”
Lets look at this statement of yours.
"just because you guys determine something to be racist doesn’t mean it actually is; racism, sexism and segregation and all of that is so profoundly wrong and disgusting because of the fact that it is an intentional act of inequality. And if every person is to not do something because it may be interpreted as offensive to someone else then we all might as well stop doing everything and sleep all the time”
So with your interpretation of things you think it would be okay for someone to walk around wearing a swastika because they thought it looked cool or was part of some costume? Images have history behind them. You can’t divorce the history of something just because you wanna use it.
A Swastika at the very least use to represent peace in certain cultures until Hitler took it and bastardized it and made it into something terrible and unless you’d tell Jewish people to not be offended by people wearing it then you don’t get to say what you’re saying about black face. And if you would have the audacity to tell a Jewish person to get over what the swastika means then you’re just a terrible person.
Swastika = anti-semantic
Black face = anti-black (whether is it conscious or subconscious)
Tyra Banks - she runs a camp teaching girls to love themselves, she’s provided a platform for many plus size models who otherwise wouldn’t have been given a shot - is she a sizeist because she wore a fat suit?
- Somethings not all of them have contextual evidence. From what you are saying (I don’t personally know the incident) she was wearing it to empathize and help shed light on the plight of “plus-size” individuals otherwise if she was wearing it in order to make jokes about fat people it was problematic.
Eddie Murphy, Martin Lawrence, Adam Sandler, Charlie Chaplin - sexists for pretending to be women?
- I’m gonna say no because that would be akin to calling Drag Queens sexist.
Native American is a popular costume choice is that racist?
- that is cultural appropriation and it is WRONG. The majority of native american costumes consist of head and clothing pieces that are only given to people as badges of honor. If you didn’t earn the right to wear them through your actions then you don’t have the right to wear them as that custom dictates.
Is it racist to wear an afro wig?
- Hair styles can’t be racist. They can be culturally appropriated but they CAN NOT be racist. And also other races have hair that fro up.
What about those china man costumes we all laugh at?
The mexican with a stache and sombrero?
The white trash redneck?
- I don’t think it’s racist but more of a harmful stereotype? Trashy Redneck is not exclusive to one race or ethnicity
- a Latin American with Indian blood; a mestizo.
- USinformaloffensivea lower-class Mexican, especially in an urban area.It’s a stereotype and it’s racist.Hobo?-No.What about Obama? Is it okay for a white person to be him? People of all races dress up as presidents all the time.You can dress up as the president and not color your face. If they are using black face when being the president IT’S RACIST.There are thousands and thousands of things you could be for Halloween that doesn’t involve you being racist or culturally appropriating shit from other people. Hell it’s perfectly fine to dress up as people BUT DON’T DARKEN YOUR SKIN TO DO IT!That chick who dressed up as Suzanne from OITNB did not have to color her face for us to get she was Suzanne. The hairstyle and the clothes made that abundantly clear.Hobo is neither a race nor a culture. Any race or culture can be a hobo and while yes it is a hard life style it is not specific to any one race gender or anything so YOU ARE STILL VERY VERY WRONGAnd on your words on being a feminist. If you think equality for all is allowing people to culturally appropriate stuff and be racist caricatures that’s some white feminist bullshit and I am ashamed to call you a fellow black sister.
OP was on some serious shit.
When complete fucks try to justify racism esp with a weak ass argument
Learn your history girl
There is no excuse for you to be that damn ignorant